The meeting in New York was not about media coverage, or about making policy. I was told it was more about networking, and putting politics aside. It is not about attracting attention of the media. Most of these people are dedicated to improving the economy, reducing overall poverty.

Everybody I met this weekend were, judging from their actions and words, very dedicated to improving human rights and developing their respective economies. However, I'm not going to pass judgment on everybody who was there-- I am quite sure that with such a diverse attendance, it is very hard to say.

I am not really quite sure what sort of message the protestors are trying to send. I understand that by protesting the WTO, one is demonstrating that they are against globalization. However, this meeting, the WEF, spreads so many national, ideogical, religious, and economic viewpoints that I don't believe it sends any very specific message. It's basically an event for a bunch of economists who never really get out to feel important.

First stop on Sunday: Brunch at the Singaporean Consulate, near the UN. Tons of police, deserted streets, no protestors. In fact, I hardly saw any at all this weekend.

There were about 18 people there, including the PM, and other cabinet ministers. This was not an official WEF event (there's no way I would have been allowed in if it were official), just a social gathering. We discussed Singapore's role as the most successful totalitarian government, and yes, freedom. One of the ministers stressed 'The difference between freedom to and freedom from.'

This made me think about the nature of freedom in America: I mean we talk about 'the media' and we talk about 'violating freedoms' but we never realize that freedoms like this are such a privilege. In Singapore you can't walk down the street and clap your hands; they don't really regard it as an infringement on freedom because everybody has to follow that rule, no matter if you are the majority or the minority.

One of the issues that we talked about during brunch was the banning of Muslim headscarves at schools. As a primer, Singapore is a hugely diverse nation, with significant populations of Chinese, Malaysians, and Indians.

This ban has recently become an issue; however it has been in effect for a number of years. The Minister of Information explained it that Singapore has a uniform; and the headscarf is not part of that uniform. He stated that the government wanted the diversity to help Singapore's success, rather than separate it. Apparently, they ban all religious clothing at schools, in an effort to reduce racial and religious division between the students.

A certain other cabinet minister admitted to running red lights in the middle of the night when there are no other cars around.

Anyway, I found the Singaporean contingent to be very receptive, and quite entertaining.

After that I went to have lunch at the Waldorf-Astoria (even though I just ate). I didn't think I'd get in, since I don't have the WEF nametag, but they just sent a security guard to walk us there. Desmond Tutu sighting. A friend observed that most people there looked quite nerdy. We assumed they were economists.=)

My driver parked and waited for us on 52nd street; while he was there, the police blocked it off, and we had quite a scene trying to get it out. They searched the car, and even made us get out. Overall the weekend was very calm.


Clarifications:
boi_toi: Yasser Arafat was noticably absent.

Purvis: I think some of the protestors on the Upper West Side damaged somebody's home, rather than a business as mentioned above. They knocked out windows and splashed paint over the steps and front of the building.

Purvis: Argentines were the ones that took advantage of the IMF's 'free money', no?