Argentine Tango first gained its hold on the US in the 1920s, when screen idol Rudolph Valentino appeared in Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse. It originated in the West Indies, where it was brought to the ranges of Argentina, which is where it gained much of its distinctiveness and individual character.

Tango is very much a "dancer's dance", as its unique rhythms offer excellent training in timing and footwork. Contrary to popular belief, tango is not considered a latin dance because it doesn't include Cuban motion. It's considered a smooth, or ballroom, dance because dancers hold themselves erect, and swing their legs from the hip.

American Social tango differs from true Argentine tango because in social tango dancers use a normal dance hold, while in Argentine, the dancers are often cheek to cheek, enabling a more complex interacting involving their legs.

You can be a star in the United States-- but if you ever get into Buenos Aires-- you'd be lucky if you can hold your own.

It's impossible to describe the tango as other than the expression of the soul of Argentina. A concept called the 'Pinta' is very important-- It means the way that one stands or walks, or 'attitude'. This is the hardest thing to learn. Friends tell me that in Argentina, the quality of dancing doesn't depend on how many steps you know-- because everybody knows so many-- but on your individuality, steps you invent, and your attitude.

Efficiency in movement, doing more with less is important, and the finishing touch is very tiny movements of the feet, called chiches, which embellish a step and can fill a moment of stillness with a musical flutter of controlled passion.

Done well, it's not just a dance-- It's an emotion that cannot be expressed in words.