Thug with knife: "You're a very nosy fellow, kitty cat. Huh? You know what happens to nosy fellows? Huh? No? Wanna guess? Huh? No?"

Classic film noir from 1974. Directed by Roman Polanski and written by Robert Towne, who won an Oscar for his screenplay. Starred Jack Nicholson as Jake Gittes, Faye Dunaway as Evelyn Mulwray, John Huston as Noah Cross, and Diane Ladd as the mysterious Ida Sessions. Polanski himself appeared in a cameo role as a cheap thug with a knife. It was followed by a 1990 sequel, "The Two Jakes", which was directed by Nicholson.

Plot summary: Private eye Jake Gittes is hired for a simple snoop job on an adultery case, but ends up getting involved in a murder investigation, a shady land deal, twisted family secrets, and far more danger than he's being paid for.

This is a brilliant, multilayered, shocking movie, and one of the most acclaimed and enduring films to come out of the 1970s. Polanski is at the very top of his game, and Towne's script is riveting and corkscrew-convoluted. Nicholson and Dunaway are very good, but let's be honest -- the best actor in this picture is Huston, playing the mega-wealthy, charismatic, amoral Noah Cross. If there was ever a bad guy who you really wanted to see put down at the end of the movie, it's Noah Cross. And in the film, as in real life, at the end, the bad guy gets away with it. No, not the most upbeat ending ever, but if you're watching noir for happy endings, you're doomed to disappointment.

"Forget it, Jake. It's Chinatown."