Once upon a time, I worked at a very small, twice-a-week newspaper in a little town in the Texas Panhandle. We would occasionally receive a Letter to the Editor, and it would nearly always brighten our day, because we had a regular stable of folks with a weak grasp on reality, a weaker grasp of spelling and grammar, and access to reams and reams of paper. Reading impassioned rants from people who believed that the most pressing issue of the day was the failure of the government to imprison schoolteachers for teaching kids about dinosaurs made all your problems look relatively insignificant. But one person made all the other cranks look like paragons of intelligence and sanity.

She referred to herself as "Cinderella" because that was a childhood nickname. She'd punctuate her letters with odd, out-of-place asides like "The children are our future, truly!" and "My boyfriend says I am beautiful like a princess, truly!" and "For I am woman, truly!" She really loved the word "truly." She wrote one letter ranting about how awful the police were, then wrote another one ranting about how much she liked the police. She wrote one letter ranting about how horrible the local schools were, then wrote another telling kids they should stay in school. She wrote one letter ranting about the evils of drugs, then wrote another that included a full recipe for magic brownies (No, that one never got printed -- the publisher was afraid he'd get arrested).

When we started printing her letters, Cinderella started visiting the offices, wanting to talk to the editor about getting her a regular column. The editor talked to her once and said no, thanks, but that didn't stop Cinderella. The editor quickly learned to recognize Cinderella's voice -- when she heard her come in the door, she'd hide under the desk so it would look like she wasn't in. The rest of us would pass her back and forth and laugh into our hands at the funny expressions people made when she started to riff on her "beautiful princess" bit. Eventually, she either got tired of us, moved away, or got back on her medication...