Morbius: "Monsters! Monsters from the Id!"

Classic science fiction film -- one of the best ever -- released in 1956. It was directed by Fred M. Wilcox and written by Irving Block, Allen Adler, and Cyril Hume. It was loosely based (okay, very, very loosely) on "The Tempest" by William Shakespeare. It starred Leslie Nielsen (in his pre-buffoon days) as Commander John Adams, Anne Francis as Altaira, Walter Pidgeon as Dr. Edward Morbius, and Robby the Robot as himself.

Commander Adams: "Nice planet you have here. High oxygen content."
Robby: "I rarely use it myself, sir. It promotes rust."

When Commander Adams and his spaceship are sent to visit the scientific colony on Altair-4, they discover that all the colonists have been killed except for Dr. Morbius, his daughter Altaira, and their robotic servant Robby. Now a powerful, invisible monster is stalking the crew, picking them off one by one. Can the crew stop the invisible menace, or is Dr. Morbius hiding dark secrets about the monster's powers?

Cookie: "Another one of them new worlds. No beer, no women, no pool parlors, nothin'! Nothin' to do but throw rocks at tin cans, and we gotta bring our own tin cans."

"Forbidden Planet" was the first science fiction film that had an A-list budget; no black and white cinematography or cheap papier-mache effects -- this was high class, big budget all the way. The plot is excellent, the acting is excellent, the dialogue is excellent. The special effects are outstanding -- the only reason this movie didn't win the special effects Oscar was because it had to compete against "The Ten Commandments", and the Academy voters just weren't gonna vote against God. Seriously, the effects are still impressive today, especially the 20-mile complex buried underground and the scenes of the horrifying Id Monster crashing against the spaceship's electrified shields. All in all, it may be the most influential science fiction movie ever made. If you haven't seen it yet, you should.

Robby: "Sorry miss, I was giving myself an oil job."