The High-frequency Active Auroral Research Program.

Located on a 33-acre lot near the town of Gakona, Alaska, about 200 miles northeast of Anchorage, HAARP consists of 180 72-foot-tall towers being built by Advanced Power Technologies, Inc. to form a phased-array radio transmitter with a frequency range of 2.8 to 10 MHz. The stated purpose of the project is to study the ionosphere by focusing 3.6 megawatts of radio energy onto a very small area of it. HAARP is a relatively new project -- several other nations, including Russia and Norway, have similar programs. HAARP began preliminary testing in 1997, completed a workable grid of 48 towers in 1998, and is expected to be fully operational by 2002. The project is funded by the U.S. Navy and Air Force, so the people who enjoy getting paranoid about such things are getting busy working themselves into a tither.

First of all, of course, it should be noted that HAARP isn't even a classified project. No Area 51 shoot-to-kill security, no black funding, no X-Files coverup. The Navy and Air Force have even had press conferences to discuss the program. In addition, ionospheric research is pretty important to communications of all kinds, both military and civilian. Of course, a great big scientific project funded by the military just begs for a layer of conspiracy theory, doesn't it?

According to the conspiracy theorists, if we're lucky, HAARP will only be used to send secret messages to nuclear submarines and various Illuminati groups. If we're somewhat unlucky, HAARP will be used by the military to superheat the atmosphere and jet stream to create catastrophic weather disasters, fry aircraft guidance systems, or generate nuclear explosions anywhere on earth. If we're really unlucky, HAARP will serve as a global mind control device, using low frequency radio beams to hypnotize billions of people. And if we're really, really unlucky, HAARP will rip a giant hole in the ionosphere, blow the ozone layer apart, heat the earth to cake-baking levels, and trigger mega-hurricanes, giant earthquakes, and forest fires, and destroy all life on earth.

Sound unlikely? With a working grid already in operation, maybe that's exactly what the government wants you to believe...

Research from Suppressed Transmission: The First Broadcast, "The Slightly Altered History" by Ken Hite, p. 13.