The terrorist attack that collapsed the World Trade Center happened just days ago. The ongoing feelings of horror in the wake of the attack were tempered a bit by feelings of brotherhood as Americans came together to offer support and aid and as people around the world expressed their own shock and sadness that so many people could be killed. That made me feel pretty good about the state of the world -- I'm not a person known for patriotism, but I was proud of how we were behaving.

But now the jackals are stirring about...

It started with a message on a discussion board elsewhere, where someone accused another poster: "You and your liberal pals made our country weak. Those deaths are on your head." Later, another poster said, "You Americans got what you deserved for the way you've treated the Middle East for the past 20 years."

Jackals, you see. Circling.

On the news this morning, 300 people who call themselves Americans marching on a mosque in Illinois, waving flags and shouting "USA! USA!" In San Francisco, someone threw a bag of blood at an immigration office that serves people of Middle Eastern descent. A man in Suffolk County tried to run over a Pakistani woman with his car, screaming that he was doing it for his country. Arab cabbies have been dragged out of their vehicles and beaten.

Jackals. Lean and hungry. Creeping around us. Wanting their own taste of blood.

A syndicated columnist named Ann Coulter said in a recent column: "We know who the homicidal maniacs are. They are the ones cheering and dancing right now. We should invade their countries, kill their leaders and convert them to Christianity." And our "friend" Jerry Falwell said on the "700 Club": "I really believe that the pagans, and the abortionists, and the feminists, and the gays and the lesbians who are actively trying to make that an alternative lifestyle, the ACLU, People For the American Way, all of them who have tried to secularize America. I point the finger in their face and say 'you helped this happen.'"

Jackals. Lurking among us. Disguised as fellow Americans or fellow Christians.

Jackals. Racist motherfuckers.

I'm not a patriot -- but I know I hate people who kick others when they're down. I'm not a Christian -- but I know what Christ stood for. And I'm tired of watching jackals slink among us, smug and hateful, confident that we will let them be.

Put the word out. I will not let them be. I will call them what they are. I will shout them down when I can. I will insult their parentage in public. I will hold them up for ridicule when possible. If necessary to prevent injury to innocent people, I will resort to violence. Yes, I see the irony. No, I don't care.

If you know a jackal, warn him that I'm out here, waiting.

If you are a jackal, watch your back.