WARNING! SPOILERS AHEAD! USE SAFETY EYEWEAR!


Title: World War III, Part IV
Release Date: March 2000
Writer: Grant Morrison
Penciller: Howard Porter
Inker: John Dell
JLA Members: Superman, Batman, the Martian Manhunter, Green Lantern, Wonder Woman, Orion, Huntress, Steel, Barda, Oracle, and Plastic Man.
Guest Stars: Aztek and Sturmer.
Bad Guys: Mageddon, the General, Prometheus, and the Queen Bee.
Cameos: Mister Miracle, Black Canary, the Red Tornado, Blue Beetle, Booster Gold, the Flash (Jay Garrick), Captain Atom, Firestorm, Nightwing, the Elongated Man, Guy Gardner, Zatanna, Captain Marvel, Supergirl, the Ray, Power Girl, Hawkgirl, and Lex Luthor.

So what happens?
Things are goin' nuts.

Green Lantern, even without his power ring, is working to organize the superheroes of the world to take care of the numerous crises and wars threatening the globe.

In the Phantom Zone, Superman, the Martian Manhunter, Orion, and his New God attack dog Sturmer battle the General aboard a hidden Martian spaceship. Sturmer sacrifices himself to push the General out into the infinite nothingness of the Phantom Zone. Superman and Orion have themselves teleported into Mageddon to try to take the ancient world-destroying weapon down from the inside. Batman pilots the spaceship to Prometheus' Ghost Zone house, where the Huntress was getting ready to execute the mostly-paralyzed Prometheus. Batman tells Huntress to get herself and Prometheus aboard the spaceship and informs her that he's kicking her out of the JLA.

In New York City, Steel breaks free of the Queen Bee's hypnotic control and smashes the machine controlling the Queen's human slaves. Wonder Woman, Barda, and Plastic Man join the attack, but Plas is injured by the Queen, causing him to lose the ability to form himself into anything more substantial than a puddle--and unable to tell the rest of the JLA his plan to defeat the Queen Bee's invasion fleet...

In Gotham City, the Mother Box that Metron brought bonds with Oracle's wrecked computers, upgrading them to super-advanced New Genesis technology and allowing her to maintain contact with the world's superheroes through digital telepathy. Meanwhile out in space, Green Lantern, in J'onn's Martian jumpship, is leading the space-worthy superheroes against the Queen Bee's attacking ships. He's distracted when he sees the impossibly huge Mageddon looming over the Earth and the ship is struck and apparently destroyed by the bee-aliens...

Cool Quotes!
Booster Gold: "Lost the gut, Ted."
Blue Beetle: "I'm wearing a girdle."
Booster Gold: "Thought as much. Nice bra, too. End of the world again?"
Blue Beetle: "Yeah. Bwah-ha-ha..."

Back | Index | Forward