German filmmaker (1902-2003). She became infamous after directing propaganda films for the Nazis, like "Olympia" and "Triumph of the Will." She always denied that she was anything more than a cameraperson for the Nazi documentaries, but she is still believed to have been a major player in the Nazi propaganda machine. Since the end of World War II, she directed only one film -- "Tiefland," a drama released in 1954.

Her best known films were "Olympia" and "Triumph of the Will." Both of them are artfully and beautifully photographed. "Olympia," a documentary on the Berlin Olympics, spotlights Jesse Owens' triumphs over the German athletes -- with enough juxtaposition of Owens and Hitler to make it clear what a tremendous slap in the face this was to Hitler's fantasies of Aryan superiority. This film is educational and it can even be fun for many people to watch. "Triumph of the Will," however, is a vile little Valentine to Adolf Hitler, made even more disgusting by the skill and passion in which the film is put together. It is likely to induce an urge to wash oneself. Repeatedly. With a wire brush.

I'll excuse a lot of things for the sake of art. But though Riefenstahl's films are undeniably art, they were still art in the service of Hitler and the Nazis, and I have an awful lot of trouble excusing that. If there's any justice, she will be forgotten sooner, rather than later.