October is the tenth month of the year, the eighth of the Roman calendar. It is 31 days long. There are two astrological signs in the month -- Libra runs 'til the 23rd, with Scorpio finishing out the month. Major October holidays include Thanksgiving in Canada, on the second Monday of the month, Columbus Day on October 12, and Halloween on October 31. It is my favorite month.

Where I live, October is the month when most leaves change color, though it happens much earlier in some states. We're also most likely to get our first freeze during October. Some states that have earlier freezes will even have their Indian Summer this month. For these reasons, I always think of October as the true glory days of autumn, when fall color is at its most beautiful, and when the weather is at its perfect temperatures (cool enough for a jacket, not cold enough for a coat).

October is the month of the World Series, when professional baseball teams compete to see who's the best. True, spring and summer are the times that most baseball fans hold dearest, but October is the sport's last hurrah before the winter, so it holds a special place in many fans' hearts. It's your last chance to enjoy a dog and a beer while watching the game, to razz the outfielders, to don your team's colors, even if it's from the comfort of your living room, instead of at the ballpark.

And most importantly, October is the month of Halloween. I'm quite fond of Halloween. I like monsters and ghosts and darkness and fun-size candy and flickering candles in hollowed-out pumpkins and the smell of rubber masks and a good long howl at a gorgeous harvest moon. Halloween and I were made for each other. And October is one beautiful, 31-day countdown to the most wonderful time of the year.

October is my favorite month. It's a good month for walking in the park, riding in the country, walking through outdoor corn mazes, reading spooky stories in old books, and eating just-baked peanut butter cookies. It's a good month, and I'll always consider it the very best and happiest month of the year.