Minute Man: "I'm thinking of changing my name."
Deadly Girl: "Changing to what?"
Minute Man: "To... Small."
Deadly Girl: "Small Man?"
Minute Man: "No. Just... Small."
Deadly Girl: "Well, that's pretty stupid."
Minute Man: "It's better than Mr. Smart."
Deadly Girl: "Better than Captain Cuntface, too."

Micro-budget superhero comedy-mockumentary, released in 2000. It was directed by Craig Mazin and written by James Gunn. It starred Rob Lowe as the charismatic but weaselly Weevil; Thomas Haden Church as the vain, laser-powered leader, the Strobe; Paget Brewster as Ms. Indestructible, reluctant hero and wife of the Strobe; Jordan Ladd as the team's newest member, Nightbird, who has mostly-unspecified bird-like powers; Jamie Kennedy as the blue-skinned ex-villain Amok; James Gunn as Minute Man ("Minute" as in "small," and he's really getting tired of having to explain that); Judy Greer as the demon-summoning goth Deadly Girl; Mike Schwartz as the dim and secret-identity-obsessed U.S. Bill; Jim Zulevic as the hyper-intelligent but mostly-useless Mr. Smart; Kelly Coffield as the super-chipper Power Chick; Sean Gunn as the green-skinned shapeshifting weirdo Alien Orphan, and John Doe as one of the Eight's bodies. Melissa Joan Hart also makes a short cameo as Sunlight Grrrl.

The Specials are a team of superheroes. Actually, they're only the sixth or seventh most powerful team on the planet. They're a bit of a joke in the superhero community -- their slogan is "The Specials aren't meant for everybody -- they're meant for the oddball, the rebel, the outcast, the geek," and their headquarters is located inside the suburban home of the Strobe and Ms. Indestructible. But things are starting to look up for the Specials -- they're about to get their first-ever action figures. Of course, nothing's that easy, and sex, egomania, and a truly horrible line of toys lead to the break-up of the team. Can the team get back together in time for the next crisis?

Okay, you're either going to love the hell out of this movie, or you're going to want to hunt the filmmakers down and throttle them with their own intestines. No one in this movie fights any supervillains or even uses their superpowers. The costumes are cheap -- most of the characters wear street clothes embroidered with the Specials' logo. The lighting is flat and extraordinarily non-dramatic. In other words, "The Specials" makes "Mystery Men" look like "Batman Forever." On the other hand, the film is quite amusing throughout and occasionally even hits the "laugh out loud" mark. The focus is entirely on the characters as people first -- it actually takes a little time to get used to this approach after watching dozens of superhero movies where the characters are defined by their powers, their gadgets, and their rubber costumes.

I'm not going to recommend this for everyone. This is the cinematic equivalent of a small-press independent comic that gets passed over by all the fanboys picking up the latest glossy issue of "Hot Comic Property X." If you like superhero movies where the characters at least act like heroes, give this a pass. If you like weirdo fringe comix, this is probably worth a rental.