English poet and playwright (1564-1616). Born on April 20 in Stratford-on-Avon, he is considered by many to be the greatest writer in history. He had no education beyond grammar school and married Anne Hathaway, an older woman, when he was just 18. They had three children, Susanna, Hamnet, and Judith (the latter two were twins). Hamnet died at only 11 years old, and his father love for his son may have influenced "Hamlet" and other of his tragedies. 

After moving to London (he continued to support his family back in Stratford), Shakespeare got work as an actor and playwright for the King's Men, an extremely successful acting company. After the King's Men built the famous Globe Theater, Shakespeare became quite wealthy. He eventually retired to Stratford, where he died on his birthday.

Shakespeare is, of course, best known for his sonnets and his many plays, including "Macbeth," "Hamlet," "The Tempest," "Julius Caesar," "Romeo and Juliet," "King Lear," "Othello," "Much Ado about Nothing," "The Taming of the Shrew," "Henry V," and many, many more. He actually valued his poems more than his plays -- he considered his work for the stage to be merely commercial labor to pay his bills. He may have been bisexual, since many of his sonnets were written to an unknown young man.

Research from GURPS Who's Who, compiled by Phil Masters, "William Shakespeare" by William H. Stoddard.