A situation comedy. A television comedy program, lasting approximately 30 minutes, and focusing most commonly on some aspect of modern domestic life. A sitcom is rarely funny, but many of them make extensive use of a laugh track to encourage viewers to believe that it is humorous.

Former noder Zerotime points out another common theme of the traditional sitcom, which is the lack of consistent continuity. It doesn't matter how chaotic or earthshattering the events of each show are -- by the time the next week's episode airs, everything will be back to the status quo again. This has been parodied in the past -- in "South Park", for example, Kenny gets killed in every show, but the status quo keeps resurrecting him in time for the next program. Continuity often does move forward, slowly, on long-running programs. Some characters will die, or get married, or move away, but for the most part, the fact that things never seem to change in sitcoms keeps viewers seeking simple escapism from quitting the show.

A few good examples of sitcoms (and by "good examples", I mean programs that are actually funny and worth watching) include "I Love Lucy", "Futurama", "Seinfeld", "The Simpsons", "The Drew Carey Show", "M*A*S*H", "King of the Hill", "Malcolm in the Middle", "All in the Family", and "Community." ((cue laugh track)) ((cue family hug))