Southwestern French Toast:

Wash and toss fresh mesclun (salad greens) with freshly squeezed lime juice and a dash of salt and cracked black pepper.

Cut a loaf of sourdough bread (or another light bread) into cubes measuring approximately 1.5 inches squared. Into beaten egg, add finely chopped chipotle peppers (tinned work well). Heat a griddle to medium-high heat and coat with a mixture of butter and extra virgin olive oil. Add some of the cubes to the bowl of beaten egg and fold them into the egg, using your hands to ensure that they are completely coated. Lift a handful from the bowl and drop them, one at a time onto the heated griddle. If they get away from you, don’t worry about it – you can always separate them with…..um…..(one of those tools called by different names in different parts of the world)….an egg-lifter or a spatula, or a putty knife – whatever it is you use to lift eggs with. Cook until golden-brown, turning on all sides to ensure even cooking.

Lay a bed of seasoned mesclun on a plate and arrange the golden cubes on top of it. Please don't waste your time making a project out of piling them, thereby turning the architecture of food into something impossible to eat without creating a mess. Dust with salt and fresh cracked black peppercorn before serving. The addition of cilantro would also be very good.