For this soup you will need:

Now do this with all of that:

Finely mince the purple shallots and sauté in a mixture of canola and chili oils in the bottom of a soup pot. When the shallots become translucent, add minced ginger and garlic. When these become fragrant, add hot curry powder. When the aroma of the curry becomes pronounced add freshly-squeezed juice from the blood orange. Reduce the heat and add the sriracha or sambal olek. Stir thoroughly, add salt and fresh white pepper. Add several heaping tablespoons of smooth peanut butter, but just let it rest on top of the mixture until it begins to melt and then mix everything together thoroughly. Pour boiling vegetable stock into the pot. Incorporate everything together thoroughly with a whisk. Pour a ladle or two of the soup over cubed firm tofu and set to the side.

Once the soup has heated through, taste it to see if you need to adjust the spices or the salt. Then add very thinly sliced Napa cabbage to the soup. While the cabbage cooks, the tofu will marinate in the soup and will begin to absorb the flavours. When the cabbage softens, add the tofu and its marinade. Garnish with blood orange zest.You could also sprinkle some roasted peanuts on it for a contrast in texture.

Note: Please be careful not to overcook tofu or it will begin to leak oils, become pockmarked, gelatinous, and will smell and taste foul. Tofu can be eaten cooked or uncooked. There is no such thing as “raw tofu”.