I think Dan Quayle suffered from trying too hard to sound good, similar to Jimmy Carter's ineptitude because he had to think everything out. Nonetheless, Quayle's quotes are some of the funniest lines ever said by any political leader. Here are some.


"The Holocaust was an obscene period in our nation's history. I mean this century's history. We all lived in this century. I didn't live in this century." -- 09-14-1988

"If we do not succeed, then we run the risk of failure." -- 03-23-1990

"Welcome to President Bush, Mrs. Bush, and my fellow astronauts." -- 07-20-1989 (Speaking during the 20th anniversary of the moon landing.)

"[It's] time for the human race to enter the solar system." -- (Speaking about a manned mission to Mars)

"Are they taking DDT?" -04-30-1992 (Speaking to doctors at an AIDS clinic about their medications of choice)

"Vietnam is a jungle. You had jungle warfare. Kuwait, Iraq, Saudi Arabia, you have sand. [There is no need to worry about a protracted war because] from a historical basis, Middle East conflicts do not last a long time." -- 10-02-1990

"I was known as the chief grave robber of my state."

"It's wonderful to be here in the great state of Chicago." -- 04-30-1991

"Hawaii is a unique state. It is a small state. It is a state that is by itself. It is a -- it is different than the other 49 states. Well, all states are different, but it's got a particularly unique situation." -- (When a woman at a hospital in Colorado Springs asked Mr. Quayle whether Hawaii's universal health-care plan might serve as a national model.)

"We have a firm commitment to NATO, we are a part of NATO. We have a firm commitment to Europe. We are a part of Europe."

"May our nation continue to be the beakon of hope to the world." -- (The Quayles' 1989 Christmas card.)

"What a waste it is to lose one's mind. Or not to have a mind is being very wasteful. How true that is." -- (Attempting to quote the United Negro College Fund's well known line, "A mind is a terrible thing to waste.")


Sources

http://www.xmission.com/~mwalker/DQ/