The Gamble House was built for the David Berry Gamble, a second generation member of Procter & Gamble. It was designed by the now legendary firm of Greene & Greene, the architectural firm located in Pasadena that pioneered the California Bunglow style and whose houses can still be found through the area (And are protected as historical landmarks).

The home was completed in December 1908 and was located on a side street from Orange Grove Ave. which at that time was known as, "Millionares Row" because of the huge amount of wealthy people that had decided to build their vacation homes on the street.

In 1966 the family donated the home to both the city of Pasadena and USC architectural school. Today, it is a museum, and the garage adjacent to it, is a gift shop and visitor center for tours of the home, and it also sports an old gas pump too.

For those who wonder if this landmark has ever been featured in a movie. It has. If you've seen Back to the Future, this is Doc Brown's 1950s home exterior. Although, I originally found this house after looking for a Frank Lloyd Wright home about a block away, La Miniatura. I stopped by once about a year or so ago since I went with my mom to work (She works about 1/2 mile from the place) but didn't have the money to pay for the tour, althugh walking around it was free at least. I have to say, it is very well furnished in teak, and mahogony, both inside and out (I've seen photos of the inside), the home is often called, and is, the best example of Greene & Greene's California Bungalow style.


Location:

4 Westmoreland Place
Pasadena, California 91103

Tour Schedule:

Public Tours:
  • Open for tours Thursday through Sunday from 12 noon to 3 p.m. (last tour begins at 3:00)
  • Closed on national holidays.
  • Tickets go on sale on tour days in the Bookstore (Located in Garage) at 10 a.m.
  • Thursday through Saturday; 11:30 a.m. Sunday. There are no advance reservations.
  • Tours are often sold out, especially on weekends by 2 p.m. Please arrive early to avoid disappointment!
  • The guided tours last approximately one hour.
  • Flat shoes are required; slippers will be provided for those in heels.
  • For special needs or tour requests, call 626-793-3334.

Group Tours:
  • Groups of ten our more require reservations at least one month in advance by calling The Gamble House between 9:00 a.m. and 4:00 p.m. Monday through Friday.
  • Group tour hours vary from the regular schedule of tours.
Tour Fees:
  • Adults $8.00
  • Persons 65 or over and full-time students with ID $5.00
  • Children under 12 are free of charge and must be accompanied by an adult
In-depth House tours:
  • Please call the PR department for details and reservations.

Sources:

http://gamblehouse.org/