Ok. I took a CNA program in High School.

It lasted through my last four semesters there (two years), the first three as just one more course among four. In the final semester, it was a co-op program, meaning we spent all day, every day, in the same room with the same people and the same petty, incompetent noodlehead teacher. Anyway, we finished the curriculum several months before the end, even after taking two months off for work placements. Anyway, what about the materials themselves?

When we started, it was with the curriculum version 1.0, which was absolutely horrible. The text was utterly opaque, and it was
very common for the pictures and flash to be transposed, incorrect, misleading or any combination thereof. Still, as that was only the first semester, we were able to make do with the knowledge of our teacher to clarify things.

Version 1.1 was similar, but had some of the worst parts fixed. There was still an entire chapter on wiring codes and how to build a wiring closet that wasn't on the test.

Version 2.0 and on was more like a real learning resource, rather than a dumbed down, half assed technical manual. Still, it did suffer from the same problems as earlier versions, just to a significantly lesser degree.

The post-chapter quizzes (6 to 12 questions or something like that, IIRC) were of limited use - basically if you got more than one (or two on the long ones) wrong after your first reading of the chapter, you probably weren't paying attention. They weren't very hard.

Most of the labs were primarily ensuring you could, in fact read, type, and follow simple instructions. Seriously.

   Type "config t" to enter router configuration mode. What prompt do you see?
   ___________________________________

This wouldn't be so bad if it only happened on, say, the first few labs. Unfortunately, it happened on most of them.


QuietLight informs me that the newest version of the curriculum (3.0) is much better. This pleases me greatly.