NaNoWriMo starts tomorrow. I'd heard of it before in passing, but I'd never really given much thought to it until now. 50,000 words in 30 days, you'd have to be insane, right? I mean, can you get both volume and quality in that time frame? But I'm gonna give it a shot. I know what I'm going to write, I have a game plan. I even got a couple other people to commit to it with me, our own little NaNoWriMo support group.

50,000 words in 30 days. Over 1600 words per day. 70 words per hour, assuming no breaks for sleeping and other trivialities like that.

I think I'm gonna need to take up drinking for this...



As a side note, it occurs to me that I should say something on the subject of the current commercialized monstrosity. Are you people insane? All of the other days of the year, what do we tell kids? "Don't take candy from strangers." What do we tell them on Halloween? Go to the houses of as many people that you don't know as you can and gorge yourselves on their candy.

Am I the only one who sees the double standard here?


kthejoker says Actually, as a transitional event, Halloween is great for teaching young kids to socialize and meet new people. Making them say "trick or treat" is literally a psychological hurdle.

I reply Not having kids and not being savvy to the inner workings of the human mind, I can't judge as to whether this is sound reasoning, but it makes sense to me. However, as an exercise in personal safety, I find Halloween to be somewhat lacking when most parents (or at least, the parents of most of the kids I ever knew) turn their children loose to eat their haul without verifying the integrity of said loot. Perhaps public awareness has raised since I used to go trick-or-treating, but I find myself doubting it.