I am the conscience clear
in pain or ecstacy
and we were all weaned my dear
upon the same fatigue

When the vocalist David Andrew Sitek moved into the same loft as the multi-instrumentalist Tundre Adebimpe, they both realized that the music they were recording independently shared common themes and sounds. David recruited his brother, Jason Sitek, to play drums on 24 tracks for their self-titled CD.

In 2003, the band released a 5 song EP on Touch & Go and added Kyp Malone to the mix. Following happy critical reception for the Young Liars EP TV on the Radio recorded and released a 9 song CD. Desperate Youth, Blood Thirsty Babes forced itself into the hearts of indie fans everywhere, leading to a number of shows at the Lollapalooza music festival.
why so tame
we could shoot wilder vines
through younger veins
sip slow from night's deep wells
and watch our gardens swell
once the seeds are sown
wild and overgrown, you'll see
heart's colors changed like leaves

I fell in love with the band from the very first track on the CD, the wrong way. The sax, after a brief monopoly on the sound, is interrupted off its beat by a heavy electronic loop. Once the lyrics dealing with the heavy theme of racism in an un-trite and poetic manner kicked in I knew I found something original yet familiar. TV on the Radio manages to mix the clashing influences of gospel, post-rock and electronic music all the while putting beautiful vocals on top of it all, courtesy of Tunde Adebimpe and Kyp Malone. The shiny, droning surface sound is underlined by soulful poetry and understated melodies.
Discography
Young Liars EP - 2003 (Touch & Go)
Desparate Youth, Blood Thirsty Babes - 2004 (Touch & Go)