This is a classic 1973 sci-fi movie that everyone forgot about after a few years. It was Michael Crichton's film directing debut, and served as a foundation point for Jurassic Park in 1993.

In the not-too-distant future, one of the great vacation escapes is run by Delos, which provides the following three fantasy settings occupied by highly realistic robots: Western World, which reproduces the Wild West; Medieval World, with a castle and sword fights; and Roman World, where one's every sybaritic desire may be fulfilled. James Brolin and Richard Benjamin are two modern executive types who enjoy themselves in Western World, until the computer that controls the robots starts to break down and the robots turn into killers. And everyone pretty much dies.

The film is split into two parts: the first is the introduction to the park and the two protagonists having a hell of a time with whores and drinking and fighting; and the second, when Benjamin is chased by the ever-so-cool robot Yul Brynner throughout the park (which is quite ironic, as Brynner is gunned down several times throughout the film] by the protagonists).

James Brolin is pretty good as the over egotistical hero of the tale (quite ironic really, as he dies first!). Richard Benjamin is at first annoying with his "fish out of water" routine , but as the movie progresses, Benjamin's character comes into his own, and so in turn does his performance improve as an actor, so that by the end of the film, it's almost hard to believe that you're watching the same guy. Brynner is perfect for the gun-slinging killer robot, in a great parody of his "The Magnificent Seven" character. You'd be forgiven if you mistake him for some sort of Terminator prototype.

There are a number of holes, but these are forgiven, as it is a fun film to watch. For example the scientists had the ability to create robots with independent thought and behavior, but didn't decide to ventilate the control center. Hmm...

If you liked The Terminator or Jurassic Park, then you will like this film. Really, if you're into sci-fi, then you'll like it. I know I did.

NOTE: For those who love to collect little bits of useless film trivia, here's one more note of interest: Westworld was the first movie to make use of "digitized images", a primitive term for what has evolved into CGI in the present day.

NOTE NOTE: Apparently, the film got a sequel called Futureworld, but I've never heard of it (there's probably a reason for that).