A piece of paper with a photocopy of Bill Gates John Henry and some superfluous words and letters. An acronym standing for Microsoft Certified Systems Engineer, which in some states is illegal to have on a business card (according to them there are only certain types of engineers such as railroad)

Often a person attaining an MCSE is green to the IT industry and has little experience to apply their knowledge, often the MCSE is a career change.

As an MCSE, i had to pass certain tests through Sylvan Prometric (Bought by Microsoft), computer based setup. I prepared for these with Transcender practice exams and Exam-Cram books. To acheive the MCSE one must successfully complete the core and elective tests. The core being NT Workstation, NT Server and Networking Essentials, as electives i took TCP/IP and Exchange Server 5.5.

Since i had no intention of being a Paper MCSE (or Wanker for that matter) I spent 7 months learning and building a knowledge base in my head from scratch. (I had little networking knowledge prior.. to this i am not ashamed)

MCSE does not automatically denote a lack of experience however, since it is a marketing tool used by job searchers to enhance their contract remuneration