Constantine the Movie


SPOILER

This is a very stylish, very smart movie. Based on comics from Vertigo, Constantine offers a sleek ride to hell...and back.

Constantine stars Keanu Reeves as John Constantine, a man with a go-to-Hell attitude who's trying to smoke and drink his problems, including lung cancer, away while fighting Hell for Heaven. He's thoroughly convinced that he is going to hell, because he already did.

He commited suicide as a boy because he could see 'halfings' for what they really are: angels and demons. Of course if you go around telling people that you can see angels and demons...BAM!, you get this big, red stamp on your head, that screams the word CRAZY. Tired of nuthouses and meds, he slit his wrists, and went to Hell, for 2 minutes. Unfortunately for him, time stops when you pass the threshold of death, so two minutes "felt like a lifetime".

After that he was convinced that, what he called, "The Rules" (the laws of judgement that are used to decide whether you go to Heaven or Hell) say that he goes to Hell because he's a suicide, but he thinks that sending demons there (exorcism) will get him into Heaven.


The whole movie has a comic book feel (it should, it's based on a comic!), but the feel lags a bit at the end. The visuals in this movie rock-out-loud though! The vivid depiction of Hell and Heaven, the colors, the imagery, and the ideals are practically to die for! An eternal fire storm eternally tearing a city(Los Angeles actually) to shreds on the Hell plane. Fragments of glass gracefully floating in hyper-slow-motion as Satan moves to condemn his own son. An angel getting its wings scorched off. A car imploding as it plows into the man carrying the Spear of Destiny. Wow... (it's soo beautiful!)...Anyway...


Most of the ideals in this movie are very faithful to Christian beliefs...to a point (21 Chapters in the Corinthians of Hell's Bible - why there would be bibles in Hell is beyond me - and the Spear of Destiny actually killing Jesus are out there a bit, but it makes for a great story), the manifestation of many beliefs are well done (especially Lucifer as a white-suited, powerful, cocky, tar-footed business man), the add-ins are plausible, and the story is well-thought out = SOLID MOVIE. This movie is really good.
WHATEVER YOU DO DO NOT WATCH THE TRAILER! IT LIES!! The trailer talks about an all out war...This movie isn't. It is one man vs. Hell for the prize of Heaven. But you should definitely see it anyway! Enjoy.


O by the way...This movie might mark Keanu Reeves as an action-comic-book-hero-actor, if you know what I mean. He has the perfect appearance and attitude for many action comics, and his past experience (The Matrix trilogy, Speed) suit him well for the spot. That's just my opinion.


Want a glimpse of hell? Go to http://constantinemovie.warnerbros.com/qtvr/index.html