Warning! The following recipe yields sickeningly sweet, deliciously yummy, gigantic hand-held desserts that cannot possibly be consumed in a single sitting, or for that matter without a glass of ice cold milk. Proceed with caution.

You will need:

  • 2 cupcake pans and liners
  • medium sauce pan
  • sturdy mixer
  • large bowl

Ingredients:

Instructions:

  1. Line cupcake pans with liners. Spray liners liberally with cooking spray (or lightly grease with cooking oil).
  2. Melt butter in a sauce pan on medium heat. Stir in brown sugar and milk. Bring to a boil, maintaining heat for 2 minutes, stirring constantly.
  3. Remove immediately from heat. Stir in vanilla and peanut butter.
  4. Pour all ingredients into the large bowl, then add powdered sugar. Mix until smooth.
  5. Spoon fudge into cupcake liners, leaving just a bit of space at the top of the paper for a layer of chocolate on top. Chill cups in the refrigerator for 1-2 hours, or until set.
  6. Melt chips in sauce pan with 1 tbsp butter. Spoon a thin layer of melted chocolate over fudge cups.
  7. Chill cups in the refrigerator another 1-2 hours, or until set.

Originally, I just wanted to copy a colleague's peanut butter fudge recipe. Like most cooks, though, she wouldn't reveal her secret ingredients. Instead, I checked out Alton Brown's version of PB fudge on the Food Network website. His is much more simple than other versions out there, as it doesn't involve a candy thermometer or marshmallows, which I've always found annoyingly sticky.

I took his recipe and tweaked it, altering the amount of powdered sugar and vanilla, etc, to make the fudge slightly less sweet. I also added the idea of putting it into cupcake holders and adding chocolate for that Reese's Peanut Butter Cups feeling. Next time, I think I'll try more peanut butter. Also, it turns out just as well in one 8x8 pan if you're going for the bar effect.

I mean it about how you're going to need milk, though. Seriously.