My friend went to a funeral the other day. His friend committed suicide. Apparently he was transporting a pound of methamphetamine in his car, and got pulled over driving down Highway 80 in Nevada. Because he was on probation, and probably lots of drugs, he decided to run from the cops. After a high-speed chase the cops finally got him to stop. Rather than being arrested, he just shot himself. He would have rather died than gone to prison. Was suicide a legitimate option in a case like that? I don't think so.

Another story. Someone told me how one time in his hometown a flood destroyed the local liquor store. All the merchandise that wasn't destroyed in the flood was washed out into the streets. People came and looted any bottles of alcohol they found laying around. The owner of the store was devastated. After the flood destroyed his business he was left with nothing. He did not have flood insurance for his business. His entire life's savings had apparently been put into that store. He was so devastated by the loss that he shot himself. He would have rather died than deal with the loss and try to start over. Do you think suicide was a legitimate option in a case like this?

As far as I am concerned, committing suicide in order to avoid dealing with a situation, no matter how bleak the situation, is never a legitimate option. The circumstances in the stories above were without a doubt very grim. I can see how extremely tragic circumstances like those could make suicide look like a very appealing option. However, you might forget that when you choose that option there is absolutely no going back. The person in the first story would have gone to prison, but he would have gotten out eventually. He could have started over. The liquor store owner lost everything he had and most likely would have faced many hardships, but he might have been able to rebuild his business or maybe start a new business. You cannot let the current dire situation cloud your judgement and cause you to make such a drastic, irrevocable decision.