The halls of residence at Edinburgh University. This is where they bundle all the freshers, so that they are all together, and don't get lost, and can comfort each other when things go pear shaped. Facilities there are a shop (where Coke costs UKP 1.70 for 2 litres), a refectory (where they serve bland but filling food), a rather naff bar with a projector, squash courts, music rooms, and a microlab filled with outdated PCs and Macs that shuts at 11.

Looks kinda like a Half-Life level.

If you are going there, make sure you get in Holland or Masson House. They're the two nicest houses, with en suite facilities. What ever you do, don't wind up in Cowan. It's a total dive. (To do this, make sure that you say on the application form that you are a non-smoker.) All the other houses are ok, but have shared bathroom and toilet facilities. Network access should be getting installed in the rooms March 2001.

I heard from Tim Kerby that the first years built a massive network in Pollock Halls this year, by running Cat5 cabling inside the halls, then taking advantage of the free internal calls to make PPP bridges between the networked houses. Sounds like fun.

There's also a string of flats there for mature, foreign, and exchange students, called Fraser Court.

Update: Cowan was demolished two years ago. Wonder where they send the smokers now.