I've never been a big sunrise fan. In San Diego, where I grew up, sunsets where always the better show because they happened over the Pacific ocean. On top of that, you were already awake for sunsets, so they were no inconvenience.

I don't remember the last time I saw a sunrise. Oh wait, 5 minutes ago. There was one yesterday to (apparently this happens everyday, but I couldn't have substantiated that statement until recently).

Watching the sunrise over the airstrips at Dolphin Aviation, where I work making coffee and pastries, reminds me of looking at a Friedrich painting. The sunlight is bent into one of those big oval eyes that he was so fond of painting, God's eye. If that is God's eye, he is definitly squinting and rubbing his eyes and cursing the day and wanting to go back to sleep. That's what everyone here is doing.

But ya know, having now seen a few sunrises, I can see why people would like them. They are pretty, and beauty can get you pretty far with me. It makes everything glow pink for about five minutes. The sun rises and it stops being dark and starts getting warmer, both things I heartily approve of.

When I was a little kid I really wanted to be an astronaut. Or a test pilot. Or a fighter pilot. Basicially, if I got to fly something fast, I would have been happy. I wanted this from about an age of 6 until I was about 13, when I realized to accomplish this goal I would have to join the military, something that by then was completly reprehensible to me, having lived with my Dad being a Navy SEAL, knowing what the military did to people.

When people asked me what I wanted to do when I grew up, my answer became "I don't know". It stayed that way for a long time. I still don't really know what I want to do. Oh wait (mornings are all about second guessing yourself, I have discovered), I do know what I want to do.

I still want to fly airplanes as much as I ever did when I was a little kid. Looking at them out there on the deck in the pink morning light still makes me stop breathing for a second. Watching them take off still makes my heart turn into a butterfly in my chest. Being around them makes 6:30AM noticably less miserable.