Buying your first mountain-bike can be a daunting task, given the enormous amount of options on the market. Here's some quick tips that (I hope) will provide some help in this task:

  1. Never buy a bike in a supermarket or department store. Avoid Wal-Mart, K-Mart, Costco, etc. These places normally have an immense power to bargain low-prices when they buy their bikes from the manufacturers. Of course, there's no miracle here: The bike manufacturers just toss a bunch of cheap parts to reach the price the big store is willing to pay. Also, these places don't have bike mechanics at their service. The bikes are normally assembled by underpaid and untrained people, normally with bad results. Always buy your bike in a Bike Shop!
  2. Try to find a Bike Shop near your house! It really helps!
  3. One of the most important aspects of a mountain bike is the fitting. If the bike doesn't fit you well, you'll be uncomfortable. Riding a bike that is not fit for you can be dangerous. The single, most important test to do is to hold the bike between your legs and watch if the top tube touches your "soft parts". Jump vigorously and try your best to make it touch. If you succeed, Get a Smaller Frame Size. Ideally, there should be one to two inches between the "family jewels" and the top tube under the worst conditions.
  4. Some bike shops will try to push anything they have on you. If they only have one frame size, that size will coincidentally be the "best for you" (according to the sales person). Be alert to that.
  5. Whatever you do, try the bike before you buy it! If the vendor refuses to let you try the bike, choose another bike shop.
  6. If you have moderate amounts of money, try not to be fooled by hi-tech innovations on the bike. Pay special attention to the quality of the important components, like brake handles and derailleurs. Shopping for brand names may not be a bad idea here. Companies like Shimano normally make fair components at acceptable prices. Forget about full suspension and things like that in medium priced bikes. If they add those features for the same price, they're obviously saving money on important parts like frame, brakes and derailleur.
  7. Raised handlebars tend to be more comfortable than flat handlebars. Most Bike Shops can replace the handlebar for you at the moment of the purchase, with little or no additional cost.
  8. Factory seats are normally very uncomfortable. Most bike shops can replace them for you and give at least $15 back on the factory model. Always try the new seats before you decide on them.
  9. Knobby Tires look cool, but they are real bitches when you're riding on the asphalt. If you're not going to be 100% of your time offroad, ask if you can pay a little bit more and have them replaced by semi-slick tires.
  10. Always try to squeeze something out of your deal by asking for a free first-tuneup. It works most of the time.
  11. Buy a helmet: Don't worry about looking ridiculous. You're not!

Whatever the bike you buy, just make sure you ride it! I have neighbors with very expensive bikes stored on their garages, taking dust. In the meantime, my cheap GT accumulates an average of a thousand miles per year. It's better to buy a cheap bike and use it than an expensive one that only serves as a piece of decoration.