Last night, I got to thinking. Then I realized, "Hey, wait a minute. I'm thinking in English," and that got me to thinking.

Now, I've never experienced it myself, but I'd assume that, for a person whose native language is a language other than English, thoughts don't occur in English (correct me if I'm wrong).

What, then, for a person who has never been exposed to any sort of verbal language? How would his/her thoughts be arranged individually, let alone combined/compared/etc. with each other? And how does this system compare to linguistic thought? Is one dramatically more productive than the other? Can Enlightenment only be attained through this non-linguistic form of thought? Is it still possible for me to have thoughts without language, and be consciously aware of them, even with English as internal to me as it has become? If so, how? Is there anything besides language which can have such an effect (that is, the effect of causing someone to switch from using true(?) thought to using some other form of thought, i.e. linguistic thought) on thought?

Your thoughts are welcomed.

I did a quick search, and there are a few web pages about this... My only reservation to posting a 'researched' version of this node is that this is a philosophical subject and could likely yield good discussions...