Number Two Son and I arrived 5 minutes early for his orthodontist's appointment and since we live 45 minutes away he didn't have time to brush his teeth before we left. The receptionist told him to go on back when he arrived...he explains that he needs to brush his teeth and while he was in the bathroom she tells another patient,

You can go on back now. He lost his place because he had to brush his teeth.

Before I knew what I was doing I was halfway across the waiting room wondering what I was going to say and out came the words,

I don't appreciate what you just said about my son.

oh!?? ha ha'd the receptionist, I was just joking with that girl, I always joke with her like that.......

I bit thoughts back failing to see what was so funny about her using my son as the butt of her joke and returned to my seat. I've always had the philosophy as a parent that if I don't stand up for my kids no one else will.

Number Two Son finished his check up and in the car on the way home I told him about Mother Bear coming out to snarl at the receptionist (the boys always get excited to see Mother Bear:)

Good!, he says, then I'm glad I stole a piece of gum for you..
(The dentist gives it to them to help adjust the teeth faster and lessens the ache from the adjustments).....and we munched merrily on the gun together for a while.

Pretty soon I hear him chewing away on his bubble gum with his mouth open...... and trying to instill some social skills I encourage him to stop smacking his gum. A few moments later he's busy noisily popping bubbles. Now I don't mind this usually, but Mother Bear was still prowling around inside and I was trying to calm down ......a little quiet was what I wanted.

Please stop blowing bubbles..... says I, I'm trying to calm down after what SHE said about you.

One last bubble he decided before he stopped and

*kerplop*

out of his mouth flies the gum, bubble and all

Oh for heavens's sakes!!!! I good naturedly chided him. Stop spitting your gum out in the car!

We had to pull over on Swan and Sunrise until I quit laughing while he playfully pummled my arm

ow! ow! STOP IT!! OW!


We are from God. Whoever knows God listens to us, and whoever is not from God does not listen to us. From this we know the spirit of truth and the spirit of error.
- 1 John 4:6 (NLT)

Devotion