Not a good day at all.
Woke up sick. Husband and I went out to breakfast, one of the manager's joined us. He asked my husband if he went to the picnic. Yes, he told him he went for about a half an hour. There was a picnic? I asked. I would have liked to go to the picnic. The manager quickly finished his coffee and left. The thought is there and out of my mouth before I can stop it. Were you ashamed to take me? He says he only out in an appearance because he was told he had to be there by his boss, and this is true, he doesn't like company functions. Nevertheless, the thought has started running rampant in my head and I have to go to the restroom to cry there.

Number Two Son, husband, and I go out to Furr's for dinner. I've been trying to get the family together for dinner and a movie. I want to see Keeping the Faith something funny, hubby wants to see Final Destination. I have nightmares so I'm careful about the movies I watch and he usually waits till they're out on video to watch them, But today we can't agree.

Number One Son has to work so it's a no go on the Family Night Out. It's been a sucky day. I observe as we arrived at Furr's.
Yep, hubby agrees as we pull into the parking lot.

Inside there's a duo playing country music. I insist we sit where we can watch them play, something pleasant finally I think. Every old sad, jilted lover type song you can think of they play.

I am morose, You think they'll play something happy?
Husband, Wonder what you have to do to get a gig at Furr's?

That's it, the spell is broken and I'm laughing at the wry observation.

Next week, he continues, they'll be appearing at Burger King.

I am helpless, stifling giggles behind my hand for at least three minutes.

After dinner we go to Software Etc at the Mall. Number Two Son plops down his ten bucks from Uncle Riley to reserve Diablo II, Limited Edition (or Collectors edition, I can't recall which it was) Release date (ha ha) is now June 30 and Limited Editions will be in July 6th or so. There's six or seven guys lolling about the store. Most are looking at the software on the shelves. Three are idling by the register talking to the cashier, one with his nose stuck in a comic book, they dawdle off in a group when we come up to put the deposit down.

Leaving the store Number Two Son, whispers excitedly, This is a Geek Hangout!, a newly discovered niche for future reference, an awesome discovery on his part.

Now as a parent I've followed my sons into their areas of interest as a guide, to help if they want it, but mostly to try to understand, show an interest in things they like. I've been to sweaty locker rooms, dozens of basketball games and track meets with Number One Son, pretty much as I expected. However, the internet has been a learning experience for me; the culture, social structures and terminology , at a time in my life when I really needed something new to learn about. It's been a year now trying to understand the lifestyle he's heading for, becoming a part of virtual communities, I can say that I understand his experiences more than most.

It's not been easy for him. There are painful, tearful times. Like when some kids broke his glasses three times last year and the idiotic counselor wanted to put him in group counseling because, "He was acting like a second grader."

This is all reactionary fallout from the Colombine shootings on her part. I'm sorry, but when someone destroys my property as an adult, society makes sure there is a way for me to seek due process, they don't give me psychological testing and throw me into group counseling sessions with the person who destroyed my property.

I spent several weeks at the school taking McDonald's in and having lunch with him and his friends while the counselor circled the table like a hawk.
Mother Bear snarls at her to back off and hands her the receipt for the cost of the third pair of glasses. Now he seeks sanctuary in the library during lunch.

Let your speech always be gracious, seasoned with salt, so that you may know how you ought to answer everyone.
- Colossians 4:6 (NRSV)

I am more likely to speak well if I have first listened well when opportunities to say words of encouragement and support to someone in distress.

Devotion