One of 3 territories in Canada, comprising 483,450 square kilometres. It abuts Alaska on one side and the Northwest Territories on the other. Over half of the territory remains forested, and it is a haven for many rare and endangered species of flora and fauna.

The Yukon is situated on the Canadian Cordillera. High mountain ranges and a central plateau are drained by Canada's second-longest river, the Yukon. Mount Logan is the highest point in the Yukon and in Canada: elevation: 5,959 meters above sea level.

The Yukon is quite cold in winter. The region experienced an economic boom during the Klondike gold rush, although the impact on the region's first nations was quite negative. The capital city of Whitehorse contains about 23,638 of the 31,609 people (as of June 2006) who live in the Yukon. Next biggest is the former territory capital Dawson City with 1,781 souls.

Yukon territory is foverned by the 18 seat Yukon Legislative Assembly. The floral emblem is the fireweed, which appears on the official flag. The official gemstone is lazulite, and the official bird is the raven.

For further information, contact:

The Yukon Government
Box 2703
Whitehorse, Yukon
Y1A 2C6
http://www.gov.yk.ca/