From: The Thorough Good Cook

Soups: 16. Young Carrot Soup

Scrape and wash a bundle of young carrots, grate off the red parts only without touching the hearts; put the red gratings into a stew-pan with an ounce of fresh butter, a little lean ham or bacon, an onion, a turnip, and a bunch of leeks and celery. Sweat the roots gently over a slow fire, stirring them with a wooden spoon, in order that they may all take the same colour; add a sufficient quantity of stock, and let the whole boil slowly for an hour and three-quarters; take out the ham and the roots, but strain the carrots through a sieve; pound them in a mortar, return them to their liquor, and all through a tammy. Add some more stock and boil over a quick fire; when it boils, set it at the corner of the stove and skim perfectly; add a pinch of sugar to soften the flavor of the roots. When thoroughly clarified, serve in a tureen with bread-dice lightly fried. This is one of the wholesomest and most palatable summer soups I know. I call it, " Do-without-the-doctor soup." If for a dinner party you want a fancy name for this soup, you may christen it "Cardinal", or "Mazarin", or "Richelieu", because red is the distinctive colour of the vestments of the Princes of the Roman Church. Remember also that any dish - soup, fish, or entree - dressed with tomatoes, may be styled "a la Portuguaise", because we seem to have borrowed the delicious fruit-vegetable in question from the Portuguese kitchen.