While I largely agree with Bookreader's critique of Taken (above), I was particularly bothered by how absolutely disposable all the girls in the movie are. Nobody in France gives two shits about the hero's daughter aside from the hero ... and he doesn't give two shits about any girls other than his own unless he's trying to get information out of them. The movie implies that he just left dozens of girls chained up and suffering because they weren't of interest. There's never any suggestion that the girls could work with each other to escape their terrible fates. They're portrayed as stupid, careless, helpless, and while it's not exactly implied that they deserved to be turned into rape toys ... there's a terrible implied inevitability about the whole thing, that this is just what will happen to girls who wander by mistake. And nobody will care, and nobody will do anything about it unless their father is a crazy-dangerous special operative.

It's not just a distasteful theme but an actual continuity problem. The girls who are taken to the Evil Sheik's yacht along with the hero's daughter just ... disappear? We see them going into the room, but they aren't there when the hero heroically busts in to get his girl. The Evil Foreigners are treated as disposable, too, but at least they have some agency before they die horribly at the hands of the hero. The girls are just set dressing.

I saw the second movie in the franchise before I saw this one, and I liked it pretty well: the daughter and the mom both seemed like well-rounded, sympathetic characters, and an important theme of the movie was that hey, those bad guys the hero killed had families who cared about them. 

I like the second movie less now that I've seen the first movie. If the second movie was really going to dig into consequences, I'd have liked to have seen the daughter wrestling with survivor's guilt (and, possibly, drug addiction). Her friend died! That's never addressed in the first movie or the second. This should be a big thing to her, but she's just plucky and resourceful and totally not traumatized by events that should have seriously haunted her.