So now it's over and I've not even begun crying over you.

Did you really feel any of the things I felt during our time together? What was it about me that made you able to tell me what you felt when I was only a nuisance but a few weeks later. Was I just a cardboard sit-in for your boyfriend? Was I just a temporary outlet for all your problems with him?

I've heard you think I'm not mature enough. I've heard you think I'm not good around groups of people, that I'm not the same person there. You told me yourself that it was simply the fact that I was pushing you too hard.

These are shallow reasons to throw someone from a skyscraper you built for him, and I know you're not shallow. So the answer is obvious. You needed someone to have a brief intimacy because of your strong feelings at the time, your anger over your boyfriend's behavior and there I was, walking in the door with a stupid grin in my face like someone they drop pianos on in cartoons. I wasn't necessary any more once you'd finished unloading all your problems with him on me. That was mostly all you did with me, tell me about what he'd done to you.

It's a textbook case. The rebound. I should have seen it coming. I did see it somewhere within me, but I was struck dumb and I didn't care or maybe I thought it would all work out somehow.

Now I'm left here feeling unwanted, ashamed, alone, confused, and used, and, despite all of it, I want to be with you more than anything. It hurts so much to know as I do that you'll never want me, that I was just a temporary crutch in your life, and yet, I can't help hoping, like an idiot once again, that you'll somehow change your mind.

Worst of all, I know that I love you. I don't deserve to have to feel that way about you when you really don't want anything to do with me, but I can't change it.


(Here's that 'bitter node' wintersweet was surprised not to find...)