Well 'e would say that, wouldn't 'e?

Pithy yet profound statement by Mandy Rice-Davies, the clanger which marked the Profumo scandal of 1963. The quote neatly questions the idea that the word of people of higher standing can be held as incontrovertible, when the surrounding facts and balance of probabilities suggest otherwise. Her deft matter-of- factness made her even more plausible (in spite of her 'orrible lower class 'abit of dropping her aitches), and it has become a popular catch-phrase to use.

At the trial of Dr. Stephen Ward, Mandy had mentioned about the raunchy house parties he had organised, held at Lord Astor's manor in Cliveden. This was where Minister for War John Profumo met Christine Keeler, a friend and fellow courtesan of Mandy Rice-Davis who had also been having an affair with Soviet naval attache Eugene Ivanov. The British Labour Party uncovered the link between John Profumo and Christine Keeler, and after his denials in the House of Commons were found to be bold faced lies, he resigned from office.

This then drew attention to Stephen Ward and Lord Astor. Mandy Rice-Davis was called as a witness to the trial of Stephen Ward, accused of making an income off immoral earnings. Naturally Lord Astor refuted the allegations that such shenanigans were occuring at his place or he involved, and Mandy Rice-Davis responded with this famous quote.

Actually Mandy Rice-Davis only said well, he would, wouldn't he? in a response to Lord Astor's denials that he had ever met her.