Gene Brewer was born on July 4th, 1937 in Muncie, Indiana, where he lived until he was 18. He got his B. A. in chemistry at DePauw University, and a Ph.D. in biochemistry from University of Wisconsin - Madison, where he met his wife, Karen. He then studied DNA replication in several major universities until becoming a novelist.

In January of 1989, Dr. Brewer began to write his first novel. As someone who cares about animal rights and the environment, he believed that the people outside institutions are crazier than those inside, wantonly destroying the only planet we have. So, inspired by Oliver Sacks' The Man who Mistook his Wife for a Hat, he wrote a novel, K-PAX, about prot, who thinks he is an alien (or is an alien, it is never made clear in the books), and thus has an outside perspective from the whole system.

K-PAX wasn't published as soon as Dr. Brewer had finished it in April of 1990; it was rejected by 48 different editors. In 1995 it was published, and in 2001 it was made into a movie starring Kevin Spacey as prot, and Jeff Bridges as Dr. Mark Powell (changed from Dr. Gene Brewer by the studio). The same year, the second book in the trilogy came out, K-PAX II: On a Beam of Light. Most recently, the final book in the trilogy, K-PAX III: The Worlds of Prot was released (August 4th, 2002 UK release.

He now lives in New York and Vermont with his wife, Karen, and their dog, Flower. He is currently working on a courtroom drama, Wrongful Death, and has already submitted Prot's Report to K-PAX to his publisher.

Novels:
K-PAX, 1995 (2001)
K-PAX II: On a Beam Of Light, 2001 (2002)
K-PAX III: The Worlds of Prot, 2002
Prot's Report to K-PAX(forthcoming)
Wrongful Death (forthcoming)


Sources:
Gene Brewer (http://www.genebrewer.com)