ROSELAND-BARNES, Michael-- Suddenly in Toronto, on Monday, November 4, 2002, at the age of 32. Beloved son of Gary and June Barnes. Loving brother of Leah Barnes and her husband Luis Cardoso. Cherished grandson of Audrey Roseland Barnes Laird (nee Weiler) and Joan Stapleton. Mike will be fondly remembered by many aunts, uncles, cousins and dear friends. They will always cherish his energetic spirit, healthy attitude and love of life. Family, friendship, nature and music were always close to him. Friends may call at the Turner & Porter Yorke Chapel, 2357 Bloor St. West, at Windermere, east of the Jane subway, from 6-9 p.m. Thursday. Prayers 7 p.m. Thursday. Funeral Mass at Our Lady of Sorrows Catholic Church, 3055 Bloor St. West (west of Royal York Rd.), on Friday, November 8, 2002 at 1 o'clock. Cremation to follow.

--The Toronto Star, Wednesday, November 6, 2002.

My friend Mike Barnes died on Monday. He suffered an aneurysm while working out at the gym.

I remember Mike as a fun-loving party guy: the kind of dude who's never in a bad mood. He had a huge case of the sillies that was quite charming.

Mike played all manner of percussive instruments. I think he was actually drumming professionally for a long while. Back in the day, he collaborated with various people in that social circle on many musical projects. Amongst those was Ontario Hydro, a rather enjoyable jam-band of some local distinction. (I'm listening to some of their live stuff right now. Sweet and tasty, baby.) He also collaborated with me on one small electronic project's percussion. (I'm going to listen to that next.)

I happened to have an appointment with my GP today, and I told him that my friend had died of an aneurysm. He said that there's no way to predict when something like this is going to happen. Also, they (the medical community) don't know exactly what causes these things. He mentioned many factors that, at one time or another, were though to cause this; eventually all these theories were debunked.

All I know is that an aneurysm is no way for a drummer to die. It would have been more appropriate if he had spontaneously combusted on stage, or died in a bizarre gardening accident.

We'll miss you, Barnes.