The POUM (Partido Obrero de Unificacion Marxista), was a revolutionary anti-Stalinist party influenced heavily by the writings of Leon Trotsky. Formed in 1935 as the result of the merger of the BOC (Workers and Peasants Bloc), led by Joaquin Maurin, and Izquierda Comunista (Left Communist Party), led by Andres Nin, the POUM was one of the key participants on the Republican side of the Spanish civil war. Probably its most famous associate was George Orwell, who although never joining the party, fought for their militia in 1936 and 37, and wrote Homage to Catalonia about his experiences there.

However, the party was small in number and only exerted real influence in Catalonia In most areas of Spain it made little impact and in 1935 POUM is estimated to have only around 8,000 members. However, according to party figures this number grew to around 40,000 during the war (a hostile estimate might divide that number by four). Its main importance lay in its high proportion of politically conscious members.

The movement was at odds with the Stalinist backed Communist Party (PCE) in Spain, which eventually lead to open conflict and their eventual suppression during the war with the Nationalists.

To understand the causes of this internecine fighting, one must examine the outbreak of the civil war. The resistance of the Spanish working class and peasantry against Franco was accompanied by a definite revolutionary feeling. The anarchists distributed weapons between their members, creating militias based on the trade unions, set up local committees to replace the existing apparatus of local government. In many places, the peasants confiscated the property of pro-fascist landlords. Of course this was not consistent or total – in many places government institutions remained practically untouched, with change gaining ground faster in Catalonia than elsewhere. These developments were a start however, and one of the reasons that “Homage to Catalonia” remains so popular with the left is its depiction of the first stages of a socialist society.

The USSR however, was alarmed at these events, and consequently so too were the Soviet-backed PCE, and the affiliated PSUC (Partido Socialista Unificado de Cataluña). Having allied itself with capitalist France, and wanting to win the support of Britain, the Soviet Union required that capitalist democracy remain intact in these two countries. France in particular would not appreciate a revolutionary neighbour, nor an independent Spanish Morocco. Therefore the PCE/PSUC line ran thus:

“At present nothing matters except winning the war; without victory in the war all else is meaningless. Therefore this is not the moment to talk of pressing forward with the revolution. We can’t afford to alienate the peasants by forcing collectivisation upon them, and we can’t afford to frighten away the middle classes who are fighting on our side. Above all for the sake of efficiency we must do away with revolutionary chaos. We must have a strong central government in place of local committees, and a properly trained and fully militarised army under a unified command. Clinging on to fragments of workers’ control and parroting revolutionary phrases is worse than useless; it is not merely obstructive, but even counter-revolutionary, because it leads to divisions which can be used against us by the fascists. At this stage we are not fighting for the dictatorship of the proletariat, we are fighting for parliamentary democracy. Whoever tries to turn the civil war into a social revolution is playing into the hands of the Fascists and is in effect, if not in intention, a traitor.” 1

The POUM line contrasted with this in almost every way:

“Bourgeois "democracy" is only another name for capitalism, and so is Fascism; to fight against Fascism on behalf of "democracy" is to fight against one form of capitalism on behalf of a second which is liable to turn into the first at any moment. The only real alternative to Fascism is workers' control. If you set up any smaller goal than this, you will either hand the victory to Franco, or, at best, let in Fascism by the back door. The war and the revolution are inseparable.” 1

And so the lines were drawn – the Anarchists and the POUM standing for workers’ control, and the Communists standing for central government and the superiority of the “Popular Army” over the militias. These divisions were deepened in the bitter Barcelona street fighting in May 1937, and culminated on the 15 June, when Nin and other leaders were arrested. The next day, the POUM was declared an illegal organisation, and only a few weeks were necessary to outlaw the POUM, to arrest its leaders, to kill them legally or otherwise, and to dispose of Andres Nin. After his arrest, Nin was transferred to Valencia, and then to Madrid. Around the 21st of June rumours reached Barcelona that Nin had been shot by the secret police and his body dumped in the street, although the papers continued to run the story that he he had “escaped into the street with his guards.”

This was the end for the party - many disappeared into the jails of the Republic, never to be seen again, others (like Orwell) escaped into France and returned home, while others went into hiding in Spain.

Quotes:
1 "Homage to Catalonia" - George Orwell

Other sources:
http://www.spartacus.schoolnet.co.uk/SPpoum.htm



El POUM (Partido Obrero de Unificación Marxista), era un partido revolucionario y anti-Stalinista influenciado mucho por los escritos de Leon Trotsky. Formado en 1935 mediante la fusión del BOC (Bloque de los Trabajadores y de los Campesinos), conducida por Joaquín Maurin, e Izquierda Comunista, conducida por Andrés Nin, el POUM era uno de los participantes principales en la parte Republicana de la Guerra Civil Española. Uno de sus miembros más famosos fue probablemente George Orwell, quien a pesar de luchar para la milicia en 1936 y 1937, y escribir “Homenaje a Cataluña” sobre sus experiencias allí, no llegó a afiliarse nunca al partido.

Sin embargo, el partido era pequeño en número y solamente tuvó verdadera influencia en Cataluña. En la mayor parte de España hizo poco impacto y en 1935 POUM se estima de tener solamente 8.000 miembros. Sin embargo, según el partido, este número aumentó a más o menos 40.000 durante la Guerra (una estimación hostil dividiría ese número por cuatro). Su importancia principal residía en la elevada consciencia politica de sus miembros.

El movimiento estaba en desacuerdo con el Partido Comunista Española (PCE), que, apoyado por los Stalinistas en Rusia, provocó finalmente la supresión del POUM durante la guerra contra los nacionalistas.

Para entender las causas de este luchar fratricida, tenemos que examinar el brote de la guerra civil. La resistencia de la clase obrera española y de los campesinos contra de Franco fué acompañada por una sensación revolucionaria definida. Los anarquistas distribuyeron las armas entre sus miembros, creando milicias basadas en los sindicatos, instalandos comités locales para sustituir el aparato existente del gobierno local. En muchos lugares, los campesinos confiscaron la tierra de propietarios a favour de los fascistas. Naturalmente, esto no era fue de manera homogénica. En muchos lugares, las instituciones del gobierno quedan prácticamente sin tocar. Pero estos progresos fueron un principio, y una de las razones que “Homenaje a Cataluña” es tan popular entre la izquierda es por que es un retrato de las primeras etapas de una sociedad socialista.

Sin embargo la URSS se alarmó con estos sucesos, y por lo tanto también el PCE y so afiliado el PSUC (Partido Socialista Unificado de Cataluña). Se había aliado con la Francia capitalista, y deseaba ganarse la apoyo de Gran Bretaña, por lo que la Unión Soviética requirió que la democracia capitalista continara en estos dos países. Francia en paticular no apreciaría un vecino revolucionario, ni un Marruecos independiente. Por lo tanto la línea del PCE/PSUC era la siguiente:

“En este momento, nada tiene importancia sino ganar la guerra. Sin la victoria todo carece de significado. Por lo tanto éste no es el momento para charlar de la revolución. No podemos permitirnos enajenar a los campesinos forzando la colectivisación sobre ellos, y no podemos perder la ayuda de las clases medias que están luchando por nosotros. Sobre todo para ganar eficacia debemos eliminar el caos revolucionario. Debemos tener un gobierno central fuerte en lugar de los comités locales y un ejército correctamente entrenado y completamente militarizado bajo un comando unificado. A aferrarse a los fragmentos del control de los trabajadores y repetir las frases revolucionarias como un loro es totalmente inútil. Es no sólo obstruccionista, sino tambien contrarrevolucionario, porque conduce a las divisiones que los fascistas pueden utilizar contra nosotros. No estamos luchando en esta etapa a favor de la dictadura del proletariado; estamos luchando por la democracia parlamentaria. Quienquiera que intente convertir la guerra civil en una revolución social, está ayudando los fascistas y es en efecto, un traidor.” 1

La línea de POUM era practicamente contraria:

“La ‘democracia’ burguesa y el fascismo no son más que dos nombres para el capitalismo. Luchar contra fascismo en nombre de democracia es luchar contra una forma de capitalismo en nombre de un otra forma de capitalismo susceptible de convertirse en el primero a cualquier momento. La única verdadera alternativa al fascismo es control de los trabajadores. Si formamos cualquier objectivo diferente, estamos dando la victoria a Franco, o, en el mejor de los casos, dejaremos él que entre por la puerta trasera. La guerra y la revolución son inseparables.” 1

Así, se trazaron las líneas. Los anarquistas y el POUM luchando por el control de los trabajadores , y las comunistas lunchando por el gobierno central y la superioridad del Ejército Popular sobre las milicias. Estas divisiones fueron profundizadas en las amargas batallas de la calle de Barcelona en mayo de 1937, y culminaron el 15 de junio, cuando Nin y los otros líderes del partido fueron detenidos. Al día siguiente, el POUM fue declarado una organización ilegal, y solamente algunas semanas después, arrestaron a sus líderes, matandolos legalmente o de otra manera, y se deslucieron de Andres Nin. Después de que su detención, Nin fue transferida a Valencia, y mas tarde a Madrid. Sobre el 21 de junio las rumores que Nin había asesinado por la policía secreta y su cuerpo descargado en un callejón llegaron Barcelona, aunque los periódicos continuaron imprimiendo la historia que había escapado en la calle.

Éste fue el fin del partido; muchos desaparecieron en las cárceles de la república, y nunca fueron vistos; otras, como Orwell, escaparon a la Francia y volvieron a casa, mientras el resto entraron ocultos en España.

Citas:
1 "Homage to Catalonia" - George Orwell

Otras fuentes:
http://www.spartacus.schoolnet.co.uk/SPpoum.htm



Feel free to correct my shaky A-level Spanish.