The Five Love Languages Theory was developed by Dr Gary Chapman of Winston-Salem, NC. In his theory, Dr Chapman explains that everyone, both men and women, share five basic love languages. They are physical touch, words of affirmation, gifts, acts of service, and quality time. Basically, most people favor one or two of these love languages. Those languages become the way they give love and want to receive love.

Physical Touch is basically what it sounds like. It can be anything from holding hands to intimacy with a partner. Words of affirmation are both verbal and written words. The affirmation may come in the form of a compliment, love letter, or even a comment about a job well done. Gifts are actual presents. Usually these people enjoy giving and receiving. Acts of service are any sort of task that may help out another person. Sometime just washing a car would constitute an act of service. Finally, quality time is spending a large amount of one on one time with another.

The Five Love Languages are important because it helps men and women understand where the other person is coming from. A wife may not consider her husband mowing the lawn an act of love, but to a man with the acts of service love language, it is. It is the way he shows her he loves her. The problem is that the woman may not have acts of service as her love language, so she will show her husband love in a different way. She may try to hug him, when he needs her to do something for him to show love. And the husband needs to understand that a kiss on the cheek is all his wife needs to know he loves her.

Not only can The Five Love Languages be used in marriages, it can be used in the workplace. Knowing an employee’s love language can help the employer know how to encourage an employee. It may mean a pat on the back or an e-mail commending them on a job well done. The Five Love Languages are necessary and easy to apply in all walks of life.