There is a misconception that English is somehow descended from Latin or French. To think this is simply ignorant. Yes, about 75% of English vocabulary is from French or Latin, but that means nothing, except that we borrowed a lot from them. When you look at the basic English vocabulary, and the basic grammatical principles, it is obvious that English is a Germanic language. In fact, many of the reasons why French has a similar grammar is due to Germanic influence on their Romance grammar (French is the most Germanified of all the Romance Languages).

The genetic relationship between English and Latin is that they ultimately come from the same source over 5000 years ago. But then again, so do Russian and Hindi. 'Liberty' and 'Libertie' are not cognates between French and English, but simply a borrowing into English. 'Father' and 'pere' however, are.

In fact, heavy borrowing has absolutely nothing to do with languages being related, but rather just means they had contact. I believe over 70% of Basque vocabulary is borrowed from Spanish, but these languages are absolutely unrelated. Same goes for Japanese, which has tons of borrowings from Chinese. Some languages, like Icelandic, avoid the 'tainting' of borrowings by coming up with new Germanic roots for concepts introduced by other language groups. English is not one of these languages, and shamelessly borrows whenever possible. However, the English language is, and always will be a Germanic language, no matter how many words it borrows. If you don't believe me, find a Swadesh List and compare the English to German and Dutch, and then to French and Italian.

**I should also note that borrowing does not include only vocabulary, but also grammatical notions. This, however, still does not mean that the languages are more closely related**