-Home-made Champagne-

 

I am at this very minute sipping on my first glass of home-made champagne of the night. "Impossible"!, I hear you say. But no, it is true.

I recently had to send my alcohol making equipment to an acquaintance's house while going through court on a somewhat trumped-up stalking charge, because during the court process I felt that the chances of getting randomly searched (as conditions of my previously held probationary status allows) were better than average.

That person asked if they could use the equipment while storing it, and I readily agreed as long as I could have a little skim of the "cream". They mixed up a batch of low-grade wine prior to converting it to the good stuff, as is required. I received 2 jugs of "wine" and 1 jug of hi-test. When I went to taste the wine earlier I tipped up the bottle for a little chug, and to my amazement when I tipped it back it frothed out of the bottle like a well-shaken bottle of Coke. It looks like pepto-bismol, and the taste has a sort of pleasant vinagrette tang to it, but it bubbles like the finest champagne.

So here I sit with an ice filled solo cup of home-made champagne. I'm DEFINITELY letting that acquaintance use my equipment again, even though court is over with a slap on the wrist 30 day house arrest with no bracelet, a small fine, and 2 years of big brother monthly visits at the probation office.

I've got to see if those results can be repeated using concentrated fruit juice as the main flavorant.