Two corrections, first a minor one then a major one:
  1. The first experiment to see a Bose-Einstein condensate (BEC) in atomic matter was not at MIT but in JILA at the University of Colorado at Boulder by Eric Cornell and Carl Wieman and their group. See http://jilawww.colorado.edu/bec/ for the press release and a list of their publications. I believe the key reference is: "Observation of Bose-Einstein Condensation in a Dilute Atomic Vapor," M.H. Anderson, J.R. Ensher, M.R. Matthews, C.E. Wieman, and E.A. Cornell, Science 269, 198 (1995). The MIT group published results of their BEC observation four months later in "Bose-Einstein condensation in a gas of sodium atoms," K. B. Davis, M.-O. Mewes, M. R. Andrews, N. J. van Druten, D. S. Durfee, D. M. Kurn, and W. Ketterle, Physical Review Letters, 75, 3969 (1995).

  2. (Responding to a now-deleted write-up which wrote that a quark-gluon plasma was an example of a Bose-Einstein condensate, I wrote the following...)
    The quark-gluon plasma is not even remotely a Bose-Einstein condensate, nor is the normal confined phase of hadrons a Bose-Einstein condensate. Quarks are fermions, not bosons. It is posited that at high temperatures (not energies) quark matter undergoes a phase transition from the normally confined hadronic phase, quarks confined to be in bound states like the proton, neutron or pion, to a phase where quarks and their force carriers, the gluons, are deconfined and are a gas of free particles. Since quarks are fermions and have spin angular momentum equal to 1/2, they obey Fermi-Dirac statistics, not Bose-Einstein statistics. Futhermore, the existence of the quark-gluon plasma has yet to be seen experimentally. Hints have been seen at CERN, the collider facility in Geneva, but we now await a signal at the Relativistic Heavy Ion Collider or RHIC on Long Island, NY.
Node what you know. This concludes this rant.

Update: Eric Cornell (JILA/Colorado/NIST), Carl Wieman(JILA/Colorado), and Wolfgang Ketterle (MIT) were awarded the 2001 Nobel Prize in Physics for their creation of an atomic Bose-Einstein condensate in the laboratory. A short article chronicling the JILA and MIT efforts to create the BEC appears in the December 2001 issue of Physics Today.