"If You Can't Hit the Net Hit the Ref" is a hockey cheer created by 2 members of the RIT Corner Crew, Misch and Spaz.

It is a parody sung to the tune of "If You're Happy and You Know It."

If you can't hit the net hit the ref *clap* *clap*
If you can't hit the net hit the ref *clap* *clap*
If you can't hit the net, 'cause you're blind, dumb, and deaf
If you can't hit the net hit the ref *clap* *clap*

The inspiration for the song came during a RIT Mens' Hockey game at the Frank Ritter Ice Arena on the RIT campus. At each end of the rink above the glass are large mesh nettings to protect spectators who may be standing at either end of the arena. The nettings are suspended from wires in the celing and are very taut.

As a whistle was blowing, a player from one of the teams fired a puck. It sailed high over the glass and directly into the meshing. Because the mesh was taut, the puck rebounded directly onto the ice, and just over the referee's head.

Caught up in the moment, and inspired from another cheer , Misch and Spaz created the cheer on the fly. Thus, the new cheer was born, becoming a regular cheer at RIT hockey games.

Please note: I do not advocate violence against sports officials. This cheer arose out of a humorus situation, as potentially dangerous as it may have been. In many states, abusing sports officials is a major crime that is punishable by stiff penalties including fines and imprisonment.