The phrase suggests a Creationist perspective on cosmogenesis. However, there is no single "Christian" view of the Big Bang. Old Testament literalism is alive and well, certainly, but there is also a huge (if relatively quiet) segment of Christians who understand the Old Testament book of Genesis as a pointer to metaphorical, not literal, truth.

This distinction between the literal and the metaphorical is well-illustrated in Jesus' own use of parable in his ministry. In the parable of the sower and the seed, for example, Jesus' story is unmoving if taken literally: some farmer scattered seed willy-nilly and naturally, some of it was scavenged by birds, or failed to grow because it fell on infertile ground, while the seed which fell on fertile soil grew. (Matthew 13:3-23; Mark 4:2-20; Luke 8:4-15.) Big deal, right? Jesus later explains to his followers that his story of a farmer is an allegory for his own ministry.

Genesis 9:3 notes

Every moving thing that liveth shall be meat for you; even as the green herb have I given you all things.

This and other early Biblical passages suggest that the world is given to human stewardship, and here in the early 21st century we find that indeed, the world's resources will require careful management if we wish to continue our fruitful multiplication. Our primary distinction from other animals is in our capacity for abstract thought and communication, and this capacity for analysis and experiment is what enables humans to defeat the most fearsome predators and adapt to the harshest climates. If these same methods of science "demote" the creation-story of a nomadic desert people to poetry, I'm inclined (as are so many other Christians) to place more stock in reason than in primitive speculation.

The Big Bang theory has its flaws, but to the empirical-minded Christian, these don't automatically mean that the universe was "completed" in fourteen turns of God's wristwatch. Rather, the specifics of the origins of the universe are irrelevant to Christian pursuits. Whether the universe has always existed in a cycle of expansion and contraction, folding in on itself only to explode out again, or came to be in the singularity we call the Big Bang, we face the same spiritual challenges - to love one another in spite of our annoying faults, to spread comfort and peace in a world of lust and power, to transmit faith when injustice carries such material reward.