The Debutante speaks highly of the Peace Lily, and there's a good reason for it.

As a male student, I'm probably the last person one would expect to be able to keep potted plants alive. I've managed to kill cactii. Yeah, that's plural. But when I moved into a new apartment last year, my mother decided that a Peace Lily would be a good gift for the occacion. Like much of what's in my room, it came from Ikea, together with a "chinese new years bamboo".

Like my mother said, and the Debutante mentioned above, this plant is remarkably resilent. I've now kept it well alive for a year (the bamboo died over Christmas, due to sloppiness from my side - it fell out of the cooking pot that had become emergency flower pot), watering it once the leaves start going droopy (that's a pretty great thing about it, actually - you know by the way it looks that it's in need of water, and it looking that way does not mean you'll have to carefully nurse it back to health), giving it some houseplant feed once in a while. It seems I am over-watering it, however - the tip of the leaves have a tendency to turn brown.

Having read the Debutante's w/u above, I'm a bit worried, though. My Peace Lily has been standing in water through the entire summer, so I don't know if I've managed to get root rot over it.

The air-cleansing abilities of the Peace Lily is a really nice bonus for me, as I live right next to a well-travelled road. What I've read indicates that for optimal cleansing, youll need about one plant per 10 m^2, though, which means I'll need one or two plants more (hmm, it wouldn't hurt to do so, actually. Got space for it).

Note that the plant is slightly toxic. The juice of the plant can cause irritation, and if ingested, may cause breathing difficulties.