I remember when I was but a child, I had a dog named Max, a fat burly looking boxer. I recall watching him as he slept. Some time after he had fallen asleep, he would begin whimpering and quietly barking to himself, somtimes snoring. Occasionally in a fit of all this, he get up pace around in a circle for a bit and then lay back down...only to go through yet another loop of similar behavior later on.

I've also noticed some of my relatives' dogs exhibiting similar behavior. Do dogs dream like us people do? If they do dream, then what do they dream about?

Maybe a doggy dream scenario would invole he or she watching as the person person (mail man...couldn't help myself there) drops some postage through the mail slot, and all they can do is watch from a distance and bark. No running up to the slot to attack the letters and rip them to shreads or to nip at the mail carrier's hands. Just barking, totally helpless, possibly like the dream where I'm runnning but not moving.

Or perhaps they would dream about toppling over the garbage can in the kitchen and feasting on your left overs, maybe they dream about going for a walk, or maybe about other dogs.

Would a dog dream in the doggy version of dreaming in color? That is would they be able to smell and hear stuff in their dreams as well?

just wondering...