Today it snowed in Vancouver. Even though it wasn't much I had to learn how to drive in it fast! No I've never driven in snow before.
For your viewing pleasure here are a few tips to keep you safe:
  1. The most important thing to remember: The chances of you getting safely to your destination are inversely proportional to your speed. That is the slower you drive the faster you'll get there.
  2. Leave a few car lengths between you and the car in front. This will give you the required time to react to the changing situation, like someone cutting you off. Basically it's your safety margin.
  3. brake just a bit earlier then you usually do. DON'T slam on your breaks. Your car will slide right into an obstruction ahead. Apply your breaks slowly.
  4. If you drive a manual transmission don't coast in neutral. You'll end up losing traction too.
  5. If you're turning (or whatever) and your car starts sliding, turn your wheels in the direction opposite of where the car is sliding. DON'T slam on your accelerator or breaks! Let your car right itself first.


Mainly driving in snow is about not losing traction. As long as your wheels are gripping you're all right.

I think that's all for now. Disclaimer: This worked for me, eh? Have fun, and drive carefully!



Well Rancid_Pickle says first turn into the skid. I practiced skidding for fun earlier today, and now I can't quite remember whether i turned into the skid or not at first. I know on the way home I nearly missed a car because I started sliding to the right. But for me the sequence of actions was almost automatic - I straightened the car right away. Don't believe me though. Your best bet I suppose, is to practice (just like Mr R. Pickle says).