What is a Prince Albert?
A Prince Albert is a body piercing through the urethra and out the underside of the penis.

Does it hurt?
That depends on your experience with piercings. I have had piercings in the cartilage of my ear, in the ear lobe, in the nipple, and in the penis. The Prince Albert piercing is unique in that the pain is acute does not persist beyond a few microseconds. It does not throb afterward, but there is minor discomfort if it is knocked or there is pressure. Sleeping on one's back helps to avoid this.

Will it bleed?
Yes, relatively very much so for about 3 days. Rubber gloves are secured around the penis immediately afterward to prevent blood from staining clothing, but these are not very effective because the gloves are hard to secure, often falling off. An alternative is to wear a disposable undergarment. This is sure to provide protection even if you toss and turn in bed; so, you save your sheets.

How should it be cleaned?
For sure one does not need to buy any 'specialty' formula sold specifically for piercings. A mixture of salt and water applied daily is all that is needed. Urinating is encouraged as urine is sterile and will only serve to cleanse the piercing. Avoid creams, oils, and ointments as they block the flow of air.

What about peeing?
Peeing while standing can be a problem unless you know a trick. A lot of people, even piercers themselves, believe you must sit down to avoid making a mess on the toilet seat. Not exactly. The trick is to twist the penis so that the underside is facing up. The alternative is to sit, but even sitting if the penis is not twisted will result in a stream of urine exiting any gap between piercing and the surrounding skin. The problem of peeing will not arise until some time has passed and the skin around the piercing is stretched. The problem can be fixed, though, by upgrading to a different gauge. This will only help until the time comes that the skin surrounding the piercing is stretched once again. As the thickness (gauge) of the jewelry increases, the weight of the jewelry does too, and the problem actually gets worse than before.

What about sex?
Most agree that sensations for the male are increased and possibly for the partner. However, some find the jewelry to be uncomfortable as it is pulled during masturbation or sex. This is more often the case as the size of the jewelry increases. Exposing the piercing to bodily fluids increases the chance for infection, so care should be taken until healing is complete.

Can I remove it and put it back?
It is likely that the jewelry can be removed if it has not been upgraded. That is to say that some jewelry is easier to remove than other kinds. Specifically I will refer to the captive bead ring. This piece is unique from others in that tension of the C-shaped 'ring' holds a bead with dimples on opposite sides. For higher gauges the captive bead ring cannot be removed without ring opening pliers, which can be obtained online. Note that medical professionals needing to insert a catheter may destroy the jewelry to remove it if it cannot be removed with available tools.

How much does it cost?
Expect to pay around $100 for a Prince Albert piercing (including labor, tools, jewelry). Additional jewelry runs at about $20 in-store or much more cheaply online. Take advantage of buying online by writing down the gauge of the jewelry used during the piercing. If one does not know the current gauge and does not have a sizing tool, one cannot sensibly order the next size up. Ring opening pliers used to open captive bead rings are $5 (online). Here is a site with an extensive selection.

Interestingly:
A Prince Albert piercing, once it's thoroughly healed, will never close completely.
For shock value some replace the piercing with a Master lock.