April 30, 2009

also entitled

How E2 is unkind to users with a dial-up connection

SO, two things of importance have happened in my life recently. Firstly, I got a job. I've returned to the comfortable bosom of the YHA again, this time I'm situated in YHA Llwyn-y-Celyn, a few miles north of Brecon. Its a small hostel, 41 beds, usually catering for walkers, cyclists and the like, with the occasionally family 'popping in' for a night or two. The thing I love about this job, and possibly why I find myself returning to it periodically, is the varied people it attracts. For example, in the last week I've sat down a had random conversations with an American solider from Texas, just back from Iraq, a fellow kayaker from Llangollen, an Army Chaplin (who rides a motorbike, drinks whiskey like a fish and plays Warhammer 40,000), and two female volunteer wardens, with conversations ranging from why Richard Dawkins is wrong, Camel Crushes, the latest waterfall record attempt in a kayak, and why the YHA is imploding.
Everyone has a story. Ask. Listen. Repeat

The second thing is that I got into uni. I had been in two minds about applying for a few years now. I mean, I've had three years out of the education system, seen a small bit of the world, worked my arse off for various people. Was I ready to bankrupt myself and shackle myself to an educational establishment. Part of the problem I think was also the fact that I didn't know what I wanted to do with my life. I've always had this pipedream of being a teacher from an early age, but I've been having second thoughts. Uni is a very expensive place to find out you're not sure about where you want to be in x number of years.
I sat down with myself and had a long hard think about everything, and decided to go for it, I mean, there's worse places to spend an economic downturn than uni. So I applied for two courses, for Ancient History and Anthropology, and Ancient History and Theology. I got in too both. Now I just have to decide which one to go for!!!!

Signing out.
Dan